Saturday, March 1, 2008

America's Use Of Torture

I just got back from a round trip from Los Angels to New York and back. During this trip, I had plenty of time to think about how Congess could make better use of it's time. Forget
investigations about water board torture used on terrorists. The practice is totally
unneccessary. I have a better idea. Put them on a flight from L.A. to New York on any of the long established airlines! I can gaurantee they start spilling the beans halfway through the trip! Hours on the runway with nasty airline personel, irritated customers, screaming children and having to pee. They have no training to prepare themselves for this. From what I hear the food at Gitmo is better.

12 hours after leaving N.Y.C., I arrived in L.A. That's exactly how much time it takes to fly from New York to England. Clear weather patterns all over the States so no chance of blaiming that. I began to log my trips after having spent 10 hours on my birthday at the Burbank Airport trying to get to Las Vegas. That's normally a 50 minute flight.

My next trip at Christmas was to Beaver Creek Colorado. Three hours to Denver turned into 7 and 30 minutes to beaver Creek turned into 3 hours. A 10 hour total for a four hour encounter. The trip back to L.A. was even worse. 12 hours from Beaver Creek to L.A. with 3 of those hours being on the runway after landing.

It's become very clear to me that the Airline Indusrty is not capable of getting you where you are going within a reasonable amount of time. If it's not bad enough you have to go through hell at the security gates halfway stripping out of your clothes, now you get treated like your getting to fly for free. At what point is congess going to get off their "do nothing asses" and introduce a bill to force these airlines to function in a manner that represents a business model that makes people want to fly rather than dread it?

If 9/11 happened today, it would be hard for Homeland Security to figure out if the attack was against the U.S. or the lousey service of the airline industry.

No comments: